2012/09/14

It's Back (again)

       After way too long of an absence, I return, and with yet another new format to the TC summaries. The first two versions looked really cool, but took way too much time to create. To remedy this, I wrote a program using mathematics program Matlab that would create the summaries for me. After days of trial and error, I think I’ve got something that will work. Basically, all I have to do is provide the program with the name of the storm, its id, its intensity, and the basin it is in. When I run the program, it goes out to the web and retrieves the storm’s track and forecast data (from UNISYS Weather’s hurricane archives) and three different images of the storm (from NOAA’s NESDIS tropical storm floaters page), finally it places all this in a figure, whose background color is based on its intensity (using the colors from the intensity chart I made a while ago). The track data consists of the ten most recent lines of data. Therefore, the first few lines will be its recent track, and the last lines will be the forecast (for example, +72 means the forecast for 72 hours from the current position). Below this are two images, along with a larger image on the far right. The type of images varies and is chosen to be the ones I feel best depict the storm at that time. Common image types will be visible, water vapor, infrared, and Basic Dvorak infrared. Any remarks about the storms will be posted above the summaries in the main part of the post, instead of in the summaries themselves, as it used to be. For more information, I’m adding links to the various sites that contain data and images relevant to these storms.



No comments:

Post a Comment